Foreigners who hold a valid driver’s license issued by the road authority of their home country can drive here in the Philippines for up to 90 days after their arrival provided that their license is in English. If the foreign driver’s license is not in English, the foreigner should have an official English translation from the local embassy of the issuing country.
If you plan to drive and stay longer than 90 days, you must get a local driver’s license from the Land Transportation Office (LTO).
To get an LTO driver’s license you can either convert your foreign license into a local one or you can apply for a new one at your nearest LTO licensing center.
How to convert a foreign driver’s license to a Philippine driver’s license
REQUIREMENTS you need to convert your foreign license to a Philippine license
- Original and a photocopy of valid foreign license. The applicant must submit an official English translation from the local embassy of their issuing country if their foreign driver’s license is not in English.
- Original and a photocopy of visa and stamp or alien certificate of registration (ACR), available at the Immigration Office, if the applicant temporarily resides in the Philippines.
- Valid passport with the applicant’s current arrival date in the Philippines
- Medical certificate and negative drug test result (from a DOH or LTO-accredited drug testing center or hospital)
- Filled out driver’s license application form (ADL)
- If employed: Taxpayer’s identification number (TIN), in compliance to Executive Order 98 & MC ACL-2009-1251
- Applicants with expired foreign driver’s license are required to undergo both written and practical examinations. Click here to prepare for your written examination.
- The license is not qualified for conversion if the issuing country does not have an embassy in the Philippines.
STEPS and PROCEDURES for foreign driver’s license conversion
- In your nearest LTO licensing center, proceed to the customer service counter and secure a driver’s license application form. You can also download the ADL form here and have it filled out before transacting to any LTO office.
- Get a checklist of requirements and a queue number from LTO customer service counter and wait for your number to be called.
- Once your number is called, go to the evaluator counter to submit all the required documents and have it checked for completeness and authenticity.
- When your name is called, proceed to where your photo and signature would be taken.
- Go to the cashier and pay the application fee.
- Proceed to the Lecture Room for the lecture and written exam.
- After you’ve passed the practical exam, proceed to the waiting area and go to the cashier once your name is called and pay for all the necessary fees to obtain an official receipt (OR)
- Proceed to the releasing counter once your name is called and present the OR to claim your Professional driver’s license.
Fees and charges (as of January 2015)
|Fees and charges||Amount in Php (Valid Foreign License)||Amount in Php (Expired Foreign License)|